Wednesday, August 5, 2015

How I Got Into Collecting

Hello everyone this post is for a contest over at the blog "My Life In The Sports Card Hobby" click the link and it will take you straight to his blog and you can read his rules.

So as you all could guess from the title I'm going to be talking about how I got into the hobby of collecting baseball cards and some football.

Let's go back to somewhere around the fall of 2011 when I was in 5th grade and I was about 12 years old.  Technically my collecting really started when I was in 2nd grade and my teacher would always give me a bunch of junk wax as a prize that you could win, but that's not what really triggered me to really collect and love it.

It all started when I invited my new friend over to my house, Weston. Most of you might know him from his blog fantasticcatch. So when I had him over I had to show him my dad's room full of baseball cards that he collected as a kid which was during the junk era. Weston thought that it was really cool and thought that we should try to buy some and try it out our self and I thought why not. 

We started off with buying football and didn't care for baseball that much because we thought it was boring. (How funny, now that baseball is all I like). I remember riding our bikes over to our local store to open packs and hoping to pull the "good" players such as Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, etc.... After all this we needed a team to follow and we ended up deciding to follow the Colts. They were the closest team to us, about 2 hours away. Out of all those cards that we bought we never knew about the value of some of the cards that you could pull, such as the #d stuff and the SP and crap.

Not too long after collecting football we decided to give baseball a try. The first baseball product we started with was Bowman. Bowman was one of my favorite products right off the bat and I got hooked on baseball in no time. When buying all these bowman packs we knew that Bryce Harper was the card to pull and we were trying just to pull any card of him that we could. I remember eventually getting his chrome card and freaking out at the moment.

Weston also introduced me to world of blogger and that's were I would meet one of my best friends, William from the blog foulbunt. Will would help out my collection out so much and I'm very appreciative to be able to call him my friend. He also help me with knowing a lot of the hall of fame players and has been a huge help for keeping the love of collecting.

One of the big products for us was 2011 Score Football. Those $1 packs were the best thing ever for us, I used to spend my money on these cards like they were crack. We knew that there were autos in this stuff but weren't sure who was worth money and stuff. One day I only had enough money to buy 1 pack of this stuff and I pulled that auto that I had been trying to pull forever and it just happened to be the best auto you could get, Cam Newton. After pulling this card I was in love with buying packs and getting the rush of hoping to get something good.

I sold this card after holding onto it for awhile

After I sold this card I never collected anymore football and decided to just do baseball. Weston and I decided that our favorite team was going to be the Cardinals, I can't really remember why we did but I'm happy we did because they won the World Series that year and I think that was HUGE to us as fans. That's about all I have for what really got me into collecting there was probably more in there that I forgot but I think that I mentioned the main parts.

Oh I for got to mention for the contest. My favorite music/band is Pentatonix. They are a group of 4 and they just sing songs that are already out and make them better. You guys should check them out.

No comments:

Post a Comment